American Airlines Flight Change Policy
There are times when flying comes as an escape from the daily hustle and when the same thing sounds like a situation you want to escape. It's not the process of flight booking that weighs on your mind, but rather the situation where you have to change an existing flight.
American Airlines provides a very clear and smooth methodology to change their booked flight and gives precise instructions on following the American Airlines flight change policies. People who need help understanding these policies and instructions on how to execute them should give some reading time to this brief article. Here are some common FAQs for the common person to understand these policies.
American Airlines 24-Hour Flight Change Policy
The 24-hour window available to passengers flying big and small is perhaps the most iconic policy for the flight change. If you are unsure about your flight, then first make sure you book the ticket at least 8 days before the scheduled take-off. The 24-hour flight change policy states that you can get a full refund when you cancel the booked ticket within 24 hours of American Airlines' confirmation. You can then change your flight by making a new reservation. However, this American Airlines flight change only works when the take-off time is scheduled after 7 days from the date of cancellation.
What is American Airlines Flight Change Policy for Basic Economy Tickets?
The basic economy is preferred by most when it comes to cheap travel. Not only are the economy seats cheap, but on American Airlines, they allow you to travel in the main cabin, with additional perks such as free in-flight snacks and entertainment. There are a few restrictions for changing flights with an economy class.
- You can only make flight changes if you manage to cancel your ticket within 24 hours after booking and when the departure date is more than 7 days from the date you cancel. This is clear from the airline's flight change policy for Basic Economy tickets.
- Another essential point to note is that after this period is over, you can not make changes to your booked ticket, even with a fee payment. The basic economy flight change only includes the 24-hour cancellation. But since most of the economy tickets are under $200, you don't lose anything as the change fee for other classes can go higher than $200.
- You can, however, get some instances where the changed policy is applicable. If you choose to take up the membership of AA advantage, One world elite, or American Airlines credit card service, you can earn rewards on your travel and use it later on to get benefits.
What is The American Airlines Change Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets?
As per the American Airlines change policy for non-refundable tickets, non-refundable tickets, as the name suggests, are the tickets whose booking fare is not processed back into your bank account once the ticket is canceled. This does not mean you can not change your ticket or are restricted from booking any future ticket from the amount spent on non-refundable tickets.
- When you cancel a non-refundable ticket, you don't get the cold hard cash back. Still, the amount is converted into travel points and is deposited into your American Airlines account.
- You can use these points to make payments for future tickets.
- Passengers need to pay a fee when they cancel a non-refundable ticket and the original fare payment.
What is The American Airlines Change Policy for Refundable Tickets?
Under the American Airlines change policy for refundable tickets, passengers receive a full refund of their original ticket fare when they cancel their ticket. As the name suggests, you can get the entire amount you spent on ticket booking back into your account. Additionally, you can ask the airline to process your refund in the form of voucher or travel points. Please note,
- All the tickets are refundable within the first 24 hours of booking, provided that the scheduled take-off is after 7 days when the 24-hour cancellation window closes.
- The airline's relaxation offered on flight change for the refundable tickets is subject to fee payment based on the type of flight ticket you wish to cancel.
- In most cases, the change fee on American Airlines can go up to $200.
- You can cancel the refundable tickets up to 4 hours before the flight departs.
American Airlines Same-Day Flight Change
The same-day flight change is another great feature offered by the airline. Most of the tickets stand a chance of flight change, but a fee is applicable for this service. The following list shows the most critical points regarding the same-day flight change.
- When you change the flight, the origin and destination must stay the same.
- You can not change the number of stops and original airport stops.
- All the passengers can choose an earlier flight, but only AA advantage members can choose a later flight.
The change fee on American Airlines can range between $75 to $150.
You Can Avoid Paying a Change Fee on American Airlines
These tips can save you the trouble of paying the flight change fee.
- Cancel and rebook your ticket within 24 hours of the original booking.
- Cancel the ticket 60+ days before departure.
- Become a member of AA advantage, One world elite, or American Airlines credit card service.
- Make changes on the same day of booking.
- If not sure about your trip, do not opt for economy class.
- Find and use a travel waiver.
Flight change is not as hard as it sounds if done correctly. Passengers who need further assistance and clarification can visit the official American Airlines help desk.
- How Do I Contact Lufthansa in Frankfurt?
- How Do I Speak to Someone at British Airways in the UK?
- How Do I Speak to a Live Person at Air France?
- How Do I Talk to Someone at Turkish Airlines?
- How Do I Speak to Someone at Qatar Airways UK?
- How To Contact Qatar Airport?
- How Much Does It Cost to Change a Flight on Lot Polish?
- How Do I Talk To Live Person at Lot Polish Airlines?
- Delta Cheap Flights from Bogota to Miami
- How Do I Talk To a Live Person at DFW Airport?