American Airlines Flight Change Policy
There are times when flying comes as an escape from the daily hustle and when the same thing sounds like a situation you want to escape. It's not the flight booking process that weighs on your mind, but rather the situation where you have to change an existing flight.
American Airlines provides a very clear and smooth methodology to change their booked flight and gives precise instructions on following the American Airlines flight change policies. People who need help understanding these policies and instructions on executing them should give some reading time to this brief article. Here are some common FAQs for the common person to understand these policies.
American Airlines 24-Hour Flight Change Policy
The 24-hour window available to passengers flying big and small is perhaps the most iconic policy for the flight change. If you are unsure about your flight, then first make sure you book the ticket at least 8 days before the scheduled take-off. The 24-hour flight change policy states that you can get a full refund when you cancel the booked ticket within 24 hours of American Airlines' confirmation. You can then change your flight by making a new reservation. However, this American Airlines flight change only works when the take-off time is scheduled after 7 days from the date of cancellation.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy for Basic Economy Tickets
The basic economy is preferred by most when it comes to cheap travel. Not only are the economy seats cheap, but American Airlines allows you to travel in the main cabin, with additional perks such as free in-flight snacks and entertainment. There are a few restrictions for changing flights with economy class.
- You can only make flight changes if you cancel your ticket within 24 hours after booking and when the departure date is more than 7 days from the date you cancel. This is clear from the airline's flight change policy for Basic Economy tickets.
- Another essential point to note is that after this period, you can not change your booked ticket, even with a fee payment. The basic economy flight change only includes the 24-hour cancellation. But since most of the economy tickets are under $200, you don't lose anything as the change fee for other classes can go higher than $200.
- You can, however, get some instances where the changed policy is applicable. If you choose to join AA advantage, One world elite, or American Airlines credit card service, you can earn rewards on your travel and use them later on to get benefits.
American Airlines Change Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets
As per the American Airlines change policy for non-refundable tickets, non-refundable tickets, as the name suggests, are the tickets whose booking fare is not processed back into your bank account once the ticket is canceled. This does not mean you can not change your ticket or are restricted from booking any future ticket from the amount spent on non-refundable tickets.
- When you cancel a non-refundable ticket, you don't get the cold hard cash back. Still, the amount is converted into travel points and deposited into your American Airlines account.
- You can use these points to make payments for future tickets.
- Passengers must pay a fee when they cancel a non-refundable ticket and the original fare payment.
American Airlines Change Policy for Refundable Tickets
Under the American Airlines change policy for refundable tickets, passengers receive a full refund of their original ticket fare when they cancel their ticket. As the name suggests, you can get the entire amount you spent on ticket booking back into your account. Additionally, you can ask the airline to process your refund via vouchers or travel points. Please note,
- All the tickets are refundable within the first 24 hours of booking, provided the scheduled take-off is after 7 days when the 24-hour cancellation window closes.
- The airline's relaxation on flight change for the refundable tickets is subject to fee payment based on the flight ticket you wish to cancel.
- In most cases, the change fee on American Airlines can go up to $200.
- You can cancel the refundable tickets up to 4 hours before the flight departs.
American Airlines Same-Day Flight Change
The same-day flight change is another great feature offered by the airline. Most tickets stand a chance of flight change, but a fee is applicable for this service. The following list shows the most critical points regarding the same-day flight change.
- The origin and destination must stay the same when you change the flight.
- You can not change the number of stops and the original airport stops.
- All the passengers can choose an earlier flight, but only AA Advantage members can choose a later flight.
The change fee on American Airlines can range between $75 to $150.
You Can Avoid Paying a Change Fee on American Airlines
These tips can save you the trouble of paying the flight change fee.
- Cancel and rebook your ticket within 24 hours of the original booking.
- Cancel the ticket 60+ days before departure.
- Become a member of AA advantage, One world elite, or American Airlines credit card service.
- Make changes on the same day of booking.
- If you are unsure about your trip, do not opt for economy class.
- Find and use a travel waiver.
Flight change is not as hard as it sounds if done correctly. Passengers who need further assistance and clarification can visit the official American Airlines help desk.
- Delta Airlines New York (NY) Office in USA
- How Do I Talk To Calgary Airport (YYC) Customer Service?
- How Do I Talk To Seletar Airport Customer Service?
- How Do I Talk To Hartsfield-Jackson Airport Customer Service?
- How Do I Talk To Changi Airport Customer Service?
- How Do I Speak with Someone at Birmingham Airport?
- How Can I Speak To Someone at Gatwick Airport?
- United Airlines Chicago Office in Illinois
- Delta Airlines Atlanta Office in Georgia GA
- United Airlines Office in Miami, Florida